Tuesday, August 7, 2012

That's Enough Of Nothing

I enjoy blogging, but I never 'force' myself to do it for the same reason I never 'force' myself to do anything. In addition, my last blog kind of lost its direction, which added to my disinterest in maintaining it. As a result, I stopped doing something that I enjoy, simply because I screwed myself into a corner (or at least, convinced myself I had).

And, frankly, screw that.

So, I am recreating my blog and removing my excuses. I will be porting back some - not all, just the most popular ones - of the posts from my previous foray, and will be adding new ones as the inspiration strikes. Rather than simply wait for inspiration, however, I have a plan:

1. I originally started SDE with the intention of writing about movies and games. I have been mostly playing the same games I was playing back when I was actively updating SDE, but I did try a few new things here or there and want to write about them. In addition, I have a huge backlog of movies that I have consumed recently, and since I paid money for them to sit on my shelf, I want to kind of 'justify' their position in my collection and maybe inspire others to enjoy them as much as I do. In short, I want to horribly rip off my friend Pete's Clearing The Backlog blog for my own ends.

2. I want to start doing readings of ghost stories and recording them in something of a podcast format. Not for any particular reason, just a fun idea I had. Part of the problem I have, though, is I do not know that many ghost stories off the top of my head. I do have a couple books on ghost stories, but they expressly prohibit recording without the publisher's permission; I may or may not be able to obtain permission, and I most certainly do not want to be sued over a hobby. I probably could do reading of creepypastas, but they tend to be of dubious quality; if you have specific ones you want to hear. What I may end up do is rewriting some of the more famous ghost stories so I can get away with reading them. Any suggestions you have for this project, including stories you want read, would be greatly appreciated.

3. I am editing my Spire book and getting a couple of my friends to beta read it. Hopefully more on this will be posted as I get feedback and find a way to publish it (debating between self publishing and traditional publishing still). The living second this book is a reality, I will post about it wherever I go. I will not be porting over the setting information, but I will be making some of the information publicly available, likely on a wiki rather than the random essays I have been putting together thus far.

In short, the plan is:

1. Backlog!
2. Ghost Stories!
3. Spire!

Stay tuned, folks, and I will hope I can keep up a more reasonable pace this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment